Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

My cooking escapades

This time when my holidays started, my mother was very sure about one thing she wanted to accomplish over the hols - get me to learn some cooking!So it was decided (by mutual convenience) that I should take the "responsibility" for dinner, every night. (Breakfast, which she suggested before dinner, was out of question - I can't wake up that early, everyday in the hols!)

There is always that novelty factor in everything we do - and so it was, for me, before i embarked on this journey! The first day, I was super-enthusiastic, envisioning how I would prepare something novel everyday, make all the preparations, right from the shopping stage, all by myself, etc. etc. :P

That first day, I did act on the above - I prepared anda bhurji, and it turned out awesome. (That's one of those few things I've been preparing for a few years now, so it seemed like a reliable thing to begin with!) Here, I should mention that while I'm not exactly about to starve when it comes to surviving on my self-prepared food, I'm not a cooking enthusiast either. I can just about prepare basic stuff - batatyachi bhaji, pohe, chapatya, dal, bhat, and of course , if you count it in this list, omelette and maggi!

So it started well enough on day one, but here is how i have progressed, over the past 8 days or so -

Day 2: There was leftover flower-batata bhaji from the morning, so I converted it into prepared pavbhaji, making use of it! To my credit, I had to add potatoes, tomatoes, onion, etc (which basically means I did do some work :P ), not to mention, preparing chapatis.

Day 3: I got bored, so we ate out!

Day 4: There was matki usal, again leftover from lunch. So I followed the easiest way out - bought farsan, shev, etc, cut some onions and tomatoes, and we had misal ready!

Day 5: I was busy cutting watermelon for a long time(read- watching tv), so we had some food delivered, and watermelon, for dessert!

Day 6: Prepared sandwhiches from lunch ki remaining bhaji - cant really let that go waste, can I? (Think my mum had started preparing extra bhaji everyday, with the hope that I would atleast prepare chapatis, if nothing else!)

Day 7: I had amazing plans for dinner (mhanayla kay jatay :P ) but we'd all gone out, and we decided to eat out n come home!

Day 8: I decided enough of slacking, and with great foresight, bought paneer, masala, the mixed cut sabji packets that we get nowadays, etc. Prepared awesome paneer bhurji, something I love preparing! Also prepared chapatis, as usual (Thats one thing I'm getting lots of practice for - so this whole charade will help in some way, atleast!) .

That day 8, was today. Lets see how this thing comes along, later this month, when I start getting really bored of it!

Another thing I learned was how mom must be feeling, when we eat half-heartedly, after her calling us n number of times, when we are busy doing something else - like talking on the phone, reading books, etc. - It's so irritating! I ended up shouting at my sis twice when she did that :P

It's also amazing how mom can stand being the last one to eat, all the time, while she prepares hot chapatis for us. I had to exercise all my will power today to not let mom take over the chapatis, and start eating myself, when I was very hungry and I could smell the paneer bhurji! Maybe it gets easier (and a routine thing :| ) with time!

15 comments:

Shantanu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shantanu said...

Day 3: went out
Day 5: Ordered Food
Day 7: went out

So Whats being ordered today (Day 9)!??

& (oops) Day 1: Anda Burji -- ya rite!!!

Sangram said...

You are not doing too bad! Keep going :) Kadhitari adventurous try kar na - something like suka mutton or prawns curry and stuff - even if you learn how to make them with your mom directing you, should be great fun!
Waiting for more updates on this ...
All the best!

Sangram said...

Actually, to start off .. some RealGood chicken and packets of Parampara masala won't hurt ... plus chapatya banvayachi practice milelach :P

Sanika said...

@Shantanu: Lets see about today, whether in the first place I come home in time to prepare anything! And whats with the "ya right", for anda bhurji?

@Sangram: Thanks for the encouragement, and I have already prepared prawns earlier, thats one of the easiest things, once again. About the chicken - will try the regular masala way, tmrw or day after and I'll let you know about the results!

Anonymous said...

what was the deleted comment :-)

Sanika said...

@Shantanu : Day 9 : I ate out!

@Yash : I did not delete the comment whoever wrote it deleted it himself/herself

@Sangram: Prepared tandoori chicken - but then, that is so much easier than regular chicken rassa :P

Anonymous said...

what about choklate kake?

Tejas Kulkarni said...

Sangram cha aiku nako! Adhi veg shikava :P

Shantanu said...

nice post!reminded me of a couple of my 'earlier' encounters in the kitchen! :)

and the thing u said abt moms is so true...
a few days into my first real tryst with the kithchen (i hd to/opted to cook for abt a month in bangalore due to various reasons), i felt really guilty as i began to realise how tiring it can get, aftr a long day's work! i can just imagine how frustrating it must hv been for mom whenever she toiled hard in the kitchen and i didnt like wat she hd made/didnt respond quickly to the dinner-call and made a big deal abt it!

Bottomline: Moms rock! it tks much more than patience and perseverance to endure "tantrums" of kids and still be as loving and caring as they r!

Sanika said...

@anonymous: What about chocolate cake? I can just abt prepare basic regular cake, want to learn to prepare other varieties..

@Tejas: No ways! non veg is the best :P Plus its generally so much easier than veg..

@Shantanu: So true! Lets see what I end up doing once in Bangalore :P

sahdeV said...

waitin waitin for ur blogging "escapades".... :P

sahdeV said...

its been many days yaar.... kuchh likho!!!!!

Sanika said...

@Vedhas - No net at home yet :(
Will write something once i get a laptop + net :)

Sachin Wagh said...

interesting post ...'cooking endeavor'